What is Search Engine Optimization (SEO):
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the activity of optimizing Web pages or whole sites in order to make them more search engine friendly, thus getting higher positions in search results.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is sometimes also called SEO copyrighting because most of the techniques that are used to promote sites in search engines deal with text.
- SEO Stands for Search Engine Optimization.
- SEO is all about optimizing a website for Search Engines.
- SEO is the process of designing and developing a website to rank well in search engine results.
- SEO is to improve the volume and quality of traffic to a website from search engines.
- SEO is a subset of search engine marketing.
- SEO is the art of ranking in the search engines.
- SEO is marketing by understanding how search algorithms work and what human visitors might search.
How Search Engine Works?
Search engines perform several activities in order to deliver search results
- Crawling - is the process of fetching all the web pages linked to a website. This task is performed by a software, called a crawler or a spider (or Googlebot, as is the case with Google).
- Indexing - is the process of creating index for all the fetched web pages and keeping them into a giant database from where it can later be retrieved. Essentially, the process of indexing is identifying the words and expressions that best describe the page and assigning the page to particular keywords.
- Processing - When a search request comes, the search engine processes it . i.e. it compares the search string in the search request with the indexed pages in the database.
- Calculating Relevancy - Since it is likely that more than one pages contains the search string, so the search engine starts calculating the relevancy of each of the pages in its index to the search string.
- Retrieving Results - The last step in search engines' activities is retrieving the best matched results. Basically, it is nothing more than simply displaying them in the browser.
What is on-page and off-page Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
On-Page SEO- This includes providing good content, good keywords selection, putting keywords on correct places, giving appropriate title to every page etc.
Off-Page SEO - This includes link building, increasing link popularity by submitting in open directories, search engines, link exchange etc.
File Naming Style:
- The filename should preferably be short and descriptive. It's always good to use same keywords in file name as well as in page title.
- Don't use file names like service.htm or job.htm but use actual service name in your file name like computer-repairing.htm
- Don't use more than 3-4 words in file name and separate them with hyphens rather than underscores. Try to use 2 keywords if possible.
- Don't keep hidden text on your web pages.
- Don't create alt image spamming by putting wrong keywords.
- Don't use frames and flash on your site.
- Don't exchange your links with black listed sites.
- Don't try to fool your website visitors by using miss spelled keyword.
- Don't send spam emails to thousand of email IDs.
- Don't use too much graphics on your site.
- Don't try to create duplicate content of pages.